Monday, January 29, 2007

GRANDMA' S HEADWARMER

In old China old ladies wear decorated head bands around their foreheads to keep out the chill. I think there must be a belief then, that the female forehead is vulnerable to chills especially among the old. So it is customary for old ladies to sport some head band. These old ladies must have been a fashionable lot too, as the headbands from that era are not just plain functional pieces but are fine embroidered pieces and some with jade pieces as added embellishments.



I purchased this old embroidered headband from a garage sale and have sewed some of my small jade ornaments on it to recreate a piece that might have been in vogue about 50-100 years ago.

1 comment:

  1. I was recommended this blog by way of my cousin. I am no longer certain whether this submit is written by him as no one
    else realize such designated about my problem.
    You're wonderful! Thank you!

    Visit my web site Cheap Nike Blazers

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Favourite Books

  • Theft : a love story
  • The Uncommon Reader
  • The Silent Patient
  • Never Let me go
  • Angela's Angels
  • Where angels fear to tread