Thursday, October 17, 2013

Connecting with a turtle.....



A chance encounter with this endearing pet turtle stirred me to come up with a jade bracelet made of 5 turtle shell beads and tiny round jade spacer beads


 
Slow and steady ...... no rat race for him....

 


Bracelet of jade turtle beads and small round jade beads
 
 
 
The shell beads are apple green and oval shaped.  On one side it is slightly domed with turtle shell carved on it while  the underside is flat and has a Chinese character feng which means abundance etched  on it. Each turtle bead measures 1cmx 0.8cm. The small spacer beads are new while the turtle beads are around 50 years old.
 
 
Dome shaped carved with motif of turtle shell
 
 
 
Close up

 
 
 
Chinese character "feng" on the flat underside
 
While researching the net I   also found that
 
 
 the turtle is one of the oldest living animal ancestors walking on the earth today. The oldest fossils of turtles are dated at over 200 million years old. This is highly symbolic. It indicates the turtle is a symbol of longevity, endurance, persistence, and the continuation of life (sometimes against incredible odds). Not only is the turtle's walking pace sure and steady, but so is its insistence at being a part of biological life on this earth. Something to consider when connecting with the turtle as a guide and mentor in living a dynamic, long life
 
To the Chinese too,  turtles are a symbol of longevity, patience,  slowness,  and fortitude. During my recent long illness  I had good healing vibes stringing and wearing this little green turtle bracelet.
  

 
My healing bracelet
 
 

.
  
-


1 comment:

  1. Helpful info. Lucky me I found your web site by chance, and I'm stunned why this coincidence didn't
    came about earlier! I bookmarked it.

    Here is my web blog - กระปุกครีมราคาถูก

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Favourite Books

  • Theft : a love story
  • The Uncommon Reader
  • The Silent Patient
  • Never Let me go
  • Angela's Angels
  • Where angels fear to tread